Monday, January 28, 2008

Thank God! I'm A Country Girl!

This photo of Sunny has absolutely nothing to do with this post... she is just so "doggone" cute! Ha Ha!
I sure do like living in the country! Don't get me wrong... there's a lot of extra work that goes into it... but we sure do have fun.
Even growing up - despite the fact that we were in Lexington... I grew up out by the Ky Horse Park with enough room to roam and only had neighbors on one side. Tim has always said he'd like to have at least 600 acres - and then build right smack dab in the middle of it. I believe he'd do it, too! (Note in the photo below... Eagle is on the LEFT... Tony is on the RIGHT. Look at how light Eagle is getting!!)
(Note in the photo below... Jesse is on the far left...after checking all the feed buckets for last dribbles of grain... he heads down to chase all the horses away from the hay bale.)
As far as the chores go... the kids already help with those. Ali is by far the best "pooper-scooper"... don't laugh... there is a guy that makes six figures in Lexington doing it!!! I attribute it to her type-A (step-by-step, row-by-row, don't miss a spot) personality. Rachel is by far the best with the dogs. She has a natural way with the animals. McCaleb wants to please... so he gives every task his all...but his skills have yet to be determined. He just likes anything that involves power or motors.
(Note in THESE photos... Rachel, who is supposed to be the GATE KEEPER... is riding on Tim's back. Maybe not as much help as I had planned... but still fun!)
So today - when it was time to put out a new round bale of hay for the horses... it was Rachel's turn to help. (Yes, we have to keep track... McCaleb thinks the tractor is HIS and his alone.)
She loves to do anything with her Daddy... and loves to do anything having to do with the animals. I have to say, though... I send the kids to H-E-L-P. They are supposed to open the gate... hold the gate... shut the gate... basically it's all about gate-duty. Watching Rachel and Tim tonight... I think that they help might be more of a hindrance than they are a help.
Despite that... she sure did have fun.
That is one happy little girl!

10 comments:

Kim said...

I'm with you!! I'm so glad that if I want to visit one of my neighbors I have to get in my car and drive to their house!! (although I think 600 acres might be a little much)

I also have a feeling that Tim doesn't mind the "help." :)

Alex also like to go out to the barn with Jay. He likes to sit on the tractor and in the truck.

Krystal said...

We lowly subdivision dwellers will never know the thrill of a tractor - but we do have hi-speed internet connections - hahahahaha!!! Seriously, how could Rachel get any cuter? That child is pure sugar. I agree with Kim, I'm thinking that Tim likes having a little helper around :)

Jana said...

I love that last photo with her Elmer Fudd hat -- too cute!

Jodi said...

Those pictures are priceless, as I am sure was the time that TIM was able to spend with the kids...
I love and miss you!!!
Jo

Kelli said...

I grew up in the country and actually know how to drive a tractor and set tobacco. We should have a little get together when it is warm at your place. The kids would all have a blast together.

Sophie's mommy said...

Very cute photo's agree with Kim and Krystal, I think Tim likes the help. Nice know their is another Lexington family around. I have had the opportunity to meet Kim and Krystal we will all have to get together for a play date.

Sarah said...

What fun to live on a farm! That is my daugther's dream! But, alas, we are in a subdivision in Louisville and this is our life. Morgan would die to have horses!!!

Sarah said...

Forgot to say... Rachel is so adorable in her hat and overalls!! I bet she is a great helper!!

Suzanne said...

Looks like you have a wonderful place and wonderful family. And....you have a John Deere! My two-year-old would love living near you!
Suzanne

Chad & Lesa said...

Hi Jennifer,
You probably don't remember me, but I worked for Russ for several years and was a good friend of Elizabeth's. Anyway, My sister in law just adopted a baby girl from Ethiopia and reading through some of the blogs she follows I came across yours. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi!
Lesa Catlett