Friday, January 25, 2008

Family Fun Night

We have a few family traditions that are sacred... one is BIRTHDAYS and another is FOREVER FAMILY DAYS. These are a very big deal with us - and we celebrate them in a big way.

The other thing that we love, love, love to do... is have Family Fun Night. This is when we get a bath early, get our PJ's on, and have a picnic in the floor of the Great Room while watching a movie. One of my favorite times! It reminds me of Sunday afternoons growing up when Mom would make a big pot of chili and some grilled cheese sandwiches, set up a table in the Family Room, and we would all lay around and eat all afternoon long. Good times... great memories.




Instead of chili... we usually have pizza or taco ring. (Sadly... mine doesn't always look as pretty as this picture I took from the Pampered Chef Cookbook... but it still tastes great!) This weekend, we substituted the TACO beef for the recipe for the "Chicken Bistro Twist". If you want more info on these great recipes... give Cynthia a shout. She has all the low-down on the tasty PC recipes available.) It was WONDERFUL! We had that, chips and Salsa... and for dessert we ate Banana Creme Brownie Squares. Can you say, YUM????






For this weekend's entertainment, we watched the movie, "The Game Plan". I was a little skeptical at first. It stars Dwayne "The ROCK" Johnson. He used to be a professional wrestler... so I thought it might be a little much for a 3, 5 and 6 year old. However, Ali and I had seen it on the flight from Charlotte to Guatemala... and it was really cute. I highly recommend it.





At the end of the night... the kids decided that they wanted to have an impromptu slumber party...McCaleb's idea. We pulled out everyone's sleeping bags, made a palate on the floor...and gave it a shot. Everyone started off in the right places... and were snuggled as snug-as-a bug-in-a-rug. Then things began to fall apart. First, McCaleb couldn't sleep next to Rachel - and wanted to go upstairs to his bed. (True to form, he won't ever stay in bed with me for more than 15 or 20 minutes.) He came up on the couch with me and fell asleep within 5 minutes. Then Ali tried very hard to fall asleep... and Rachel rolled around like a maniac for 30 minutes. I finally gave Rachel the 5 minute warning... and as soon as she stayed still... and I mean literally AS SOON AS SHE QUIT MOVING... she fell asleep. Ali... was still trying. Then Tim laid down next to Rachel... and between all 5 of them (did I mention Molly was inside, too?) there was some serious snoring going on. Well... except for Ali. Bless her heart. I don't know if it was her effort to TRY SO HARD, or the fact that she can NOT sleep if it is warmer than about 64 degrees, and we had a fire going... but she was sweating like crazy. I asked if she wanted to go to her bed, and she was up and on the stairs in a matter of seconds. She got in her bed and was fast asleep within 5 minutes.



When I came back... I moved McCaleb to Ali's spot, made a bed on the couch... and we settled in for the night. No one even woke up this morning when Tim left early! I think that they really enjoyed it... and as soon as the "crick" in my neck gets better... we might do it again.




You know what, though? I wouldn't trade the crick in my neck for anything. My kids are a blast... and I am so blessed to have this time with them!






No comments: