Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Just Horsin' Around

The last week that Tabitha was here in Kentucky the Lexington Junior League had its annual Horse Show at the Red Mile. So on Wednesday night - we decided to take the kids and head out to do some "horse watching" and a little people watching, too.






The Red Mile is a beautiful track here in Lexington! But even more than that - the weather was so pleasant for a normally HOT JULY... that it made the evening even more pleasant. There was no humidity, it wasn't too hot, and the sky was breathtaking as the sun began to set.





The kids were so funny. I think they spent more time watching the pigeons than they did watching the horses. Each time there was a class up to compete, we would all watch closely choosing the horse that we thought was best... (I actually did quite well picking the winners...I was pleasantly surprised) but ALI was hilarious. She would pick her horse...after commenting on each and every one... and when they annouced the winner she would scream... THAT'S THE ONE I PICKED! (She only got "caught" by the other kids when she had announced that she selected a grey horse, and a sorrel actually won.)





The kids really loved watching the harness ponies... especially when the Youth Class was up and we told them that there were kids driving those ponies! They were so impressed.





McCaleb liked it most when the tractor came out to smooth out the track. It was the highlight of his night.





For Tabitha, I think that she liked the fact that she learned how to tie her shoes while she was here. I think she tied them for me 6 or 8 times that evening. She was so proud!






One of the things that we love about Kentucky are all the horses... they are really amazing animals and it was so much fun to watch them compete. We had such a great time. I sometimes wonder if any of the kids will be interested in showing horses in a few years. It would be fun... but I would also hate to see something that we love so much become like a "chore" for them. For now - I think we will simply enjoy our horses... and leave the "showing" up to someone else.





On a side note... I had a blast watching these four ladies that were there together. I couldn't help but sit there and wonder if that would be the Four J's in a few years. If so... I had a little glimpse into my future.... ha ha!

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks for bearing with me as I try to CATCH UP MY BLOG!!! I have taken 1900 pictures since Sara came home on 04/04/08... so it is a miracle I haven't gotten behind before now! :) I hope to get caught up in the next week.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I LOVE Junior League!! And I won't tell Jay that you were there on Wednesday night. We do carriage driving, and he was so mad that he did pay attention to the fact that Wednesday night was the night that the four-in-hands were showing. :)

Jodi said...

I appreciate the glimpse into OUR future but moreso I appreciate you NOT naming which of those four ladies each of us would be!!!
Love and missing you all-
Jo/Dolly
PS-looks like you had a beautiful night!!!!

EH said...

I love keeping up with your blog and have missed your regular weekly blogs. Of course I am the worst at keeping up to date so I can't say anything. I would love nothing more than for Whitney to meet all of the Hanks gang!!! We have NOTHING going on this weekend which is pretty unusual for us. I know you are all CRAZY busy, but what are your plans looking like for this weekend?? If you have an opening Saturday or Sunday, Whitney and I would love to come out for a visit. Just let me know. Keep up with the update-I STALK your blog-hahaha!!

Angie said...

Looks like you all had a good time! You always seem to be having fun! I love that about your family!!!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Great pictures. Maya loves the rodeo!!! The bulls are her favorite.