Thursday, July 10, 2008

Going to the FAIR

So... after a late night out at the Red Mile...you'd think that we would stay home and veg out for a night. Nope - not the Hanks' Gang.




Instead... we loaded up and headed out to the Harrison County Fair! It has become an annual tradition for us, to go to the fair with the Jackson's... and it we have made some really good memories there each and every year.




This year was going to be especially fun, as it was Sara's first visit to a "county fair"... and for those of you that have not spent time with her... this child is a HOOT! She laughs with a complete and total unbridled passion... she says exactly whatever pops into her head (as in there is NO FILTER THERE just yet...) and her excitement is so genuine and real. She is an amazing child... and we all get a kick out of watching her discover new things!




The girls (Ali and Rachel) wanted to show Sara EVERYTHING. McCaleb... he just wanted to watch the TRACTOR PULL. :) So we set out to try and get in as much as we could... as fast as we could.





I only wish that I could have taken a photo of McCaleb's face as he came down the Giant Slide the first time --- alone. He went up the stairs with Ali and Sara, but they slid down without him. I thought for a brief moment that we might have to send Tim up after him... but he finally figured it all out. His face was priceless as he came down that slide. It was shock... a slight bit of sheer terror... and then total euphoria. He loved it.





The girls were having a blast on the rides. For the most part, I was behind the camera taking pictures... but I did manage to get someone to take one or two with me in them. A nice change of pace... I don't really LIKE to have my picture taken... but someday I will be forever thankful to have those. I think we all need to record our time spent with the ones we love... it's just that I am usually the one doing the recording - so this was a very nice bonus!





Tim and Laura (aka "DaDa") had to do the Viking Ship without me this year. I was trying some new contacts, and already a bit dizzy... so I begged off. Herman, on the other hand... he made a break for it as soon as we headed that way. (Just kidding. He and Rachel were on the obstacle course together.)






Yes, that is also Tim taking a phone call on the Dizzy Dinosaur ride. I had to wonder what Jana thought Tim was doing with all the screaming and giggling in the background! :)









To end the evening... Frozen Ice for all the kids. (YUM... Ice and Sugar water... every mother's dream.) I had an Elephant Ear. Now THAT was good. It was warm... sweet... with just the right amount of sugar... sadly I have to wait an entire year to get another one of those!!






I love the summer and all the county fairs. These are memories that I hope the kids will cherish forever. Fun with our friends... warm (almost HOT) evenings, watching the sun go down... eating way too much and way too late. Times that you will remember and look forward to each year! As we finish out the summer and begin gearing up for fall... there are always the festivals...






Hmmm...I wonder if I can get an Elephant Ear at the Festival of The Horse???



No comments: