Sunday, March 02, 2008

Just Some Little Reminders...

Today was a day of REMINDERS for me. :)


Just so no one out there forgets... this blog is called "The Hanks Gang". I have posted several posts about Sara lately... because she is on our minds and in our hearts each and every day... and because we are getting so very *close* to traveling to bring her home. But, lest we forget about those three hilarious and oh-so energetic Hanks' that keep me on my toes each and every day...here is a post of what fun they had this afternoon.




It was a beautiful day here in Central Kentucky...it was in the 60's today! A little reminder of what we can expect in the near future... if March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb... this could be a really NICE spring this year! I sent the kids out to entertain the dogs... who have spent the better part of the winter cooped up. They all had a little cabin fever and needed to RUN. So, armed with a tennis ball, their trusty pick-up truck, and all the energy they had stored up...they took off like a shot out of a gun!




It wasn't long until I looked out to find Rachel had climbed onto the round bales of hay - and was jumping from bale to bale. (Did I mention that I was inside finishing taxes??? UGH) Not to be outdone... McCaleb and Ali followed their tiny, fearless leader... and they were all jumping, running, rolling and getting as dirty as they possibly could. Even the dogs joined in for the fun. (NOTE: Some of the "plumper" dogs had to have a little extra assistance...) Poor Tim... he was having a hard enough time keeping up with the kids, let alone the dogs were in the middle of the mess, too.




This was another reminder for me. As I watched JD wandering around the yard - I realized that this March is 2 years that JD has been hanging on with his congestive heart failure. Most days are really good for him. Occasionally he has a bad day... but that dog has more heart than most people I know.





You can see from the photos that the horses were also feeling frisky today. Yet more reminders for me. This reminder is two-fold: 1.) This is the muddiest time of the year. YUCK. 2.) Yes... all horses kick. I am living proof of that... and just thankful to be alive. Jesse (my own horse) is about the fattest, laziest and most laid back horse - that loves me better than anything. But one kick from him broke my hip in a split second. As I watched them running around and "sparring" with each other - I once more had to Thank God for protecting me the way that he did. I was so fortunate. Two weeks after my injury in 2003, a 19-year-old girl was kicked and died right here in Paris.





As I watched the kids playing I was reminded of the enormous changes that are about to take place in our house in the next month. I thought back to each of the travel trips that we had in the past 4 years - and the impact that those have had in shaping our lives. I don't think that there is anything that can prepare you for the adjustments that come. It seems that there is a period of time when you think things will never get back to "normal". But, they always do. We have been very blessed - both with the wonderful children that we have - and with the support and love of family and friends. Despite the adjustments, the issues, the times of total chaos and the emotions (we have girls, remember...) I would not trade one minute of it for anything. So... my final reminder for the day... hang on tight!
Things might get a little bumpy - but I so look forward to the ride!





6 comments:

Krystal said...

Glad you all (well, except Jenn) had a fun day!!! Seeing the kids on top of the hay bales does make me a little nervous though . . . be careful!!!

Cynthia said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! I especially love the dogs on the hay bales!!!

Can't wait to see Sara in the mix!

Jenne said...

Looks like fun! My dog would love to run and jump on the hay bales!

I hope your pink soon!!
Jenne

Jodi said...

Oh I remember the night of the KICK so well....but glad it all turned out in the end. And your ANGEL of mercy watches over you from above and will also, knowing him, be there by your sides as you travel to bring Sara home!!!! :0( I still miss him!
Those pictures are great and I miss you all so much. I love the one of the horse raring up...is that Jesse?
love to you all-
Jodi/Jo/Dolly

Sara said...

The kids look like they had fun! Wow, being kicked by a horse...how scarey. I am a therapist and have seen some awful outcomes from being kicked by horses, you definitely are one of the lucky ones. Speaking of lucky/unlucky...I can't believe what you posted on my blog about 3 accidents on the same date...stay off the roads on Oct 5!!

I am so thrilled you are so close to picking up Sara. Hope the adjustment period is quick and that everyone adjusts to their new roles:)

Jenn said...

Your kiddos look like they are having a blast! Did you get your update today?