Thursday, August 09, 2007

My "Words"

Just wanted to let each of you know how the drop-off at the hogar went with Sara. I was unable to write much - as I was wanting to get pictures posted for all those expectant parents" in the states.

Sara is an amazing little girl. I cannot expect to know or understand the things that she has already endured in her very short life. She is strong beyond anything that I can put into words. I could tell the night before, as I held her while she cried - that her heart was breaking... and it truly broke mine, as well. So I began to worry.

Hugo was with us all day on Wednesday - and he could sense as I did, that Sara was much quieter and very serious. I finally could not stand it any longer... and I asked him to please help me talk to her. Hugo helped me explain to Sara that this was not GOOD-BYE to her, it was only we will see you soon. I wanted her to know that we WOULD BE BACK. I felt that there might be some doubt in her mind if we would really return... and I wanted to reassure her that we would. I told her that we already loved her more than we could even put into words... and that we were doing everything we could to get her case completed as quickly as possible. I worried that she didn't want to hear it - or didn't understand, because she had covered her face with her hands. But once we were done talking... she jumped up and hugged me harder than she had ever hugged me... and turned to Hugo and said "I'm OK now." And... she truly was. It was as if someone flipped a switch. She was happy again, she laughed again... and when we went to drop her off that evening...she introduced us to her friends, asked me to take photos for her... and smiled and laughed while talking about all the things that we did. (Legal and illegal... we kind of got in trouble.) When it was time for us to go... she hugged us very hard... but never once did she cry. She was very strong, very brave... and very mature.

I left there - completely exhausted (emotionally) but with the strangest sense of peace. It was truly the ending that I needed to this trip.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so glad you had Hugo there to help with the translation. It was very important for her to hear those words. I'm so glad God is preparing her heart! I'm sure He will continue to be with her during this time. I pray that you guys are traveling back down there soon to bring her home. We need some more cutness in Kentucky!!

jajbs said...

Tears are streaming here! I am so happy you were able to communicate that with her. God had all of it orchestrated from the beginning of the trip when you "ran" into Hugo. Have peace and comfort in that knowing that He will continue to keep her heart and mind at peace until you return!


Amanda

Angel said...

We visited Zoe several times. Each time we left got harder and tore my heart out. BUT I think it taught Zoe something so important. It taught her that we would not break our promises to her. We WOULD be back. I think as hard as it was it had some benefits for her little heart to see us always return. Angel