Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Birthday Girls


After Christmas is over... it seems like we have about a 3 -4 week "break"... and then the onslaught of BIRTHDAYS begin. Our family LITERALLY has at least ONE birthday every month... sometimes two or three.




January was Uncle Chris' big day... but since he is waaaaaayyyyyy out there in Arizona... we missed out on having a "get together" to honor his big day. (read: good excuse to get together and have dinner and dessert)





However, this week (on the 21st and the 24th) are the birthdays of two of my very favorite ladies. Mom and Jamie. There are very few people that have had as much influence on my life as my Mom and my sister, Jamie. I can't think of a single childhood memory either good or bad... where my family wasn't there to support, love and encourage me.









I have been very blessed to have a Mother that loves the Lord, serves Him with her whole heart, and has led by example both in her family life - as well as her professional life. I have always been amazed at her integrity and her lack of "gray" areas. Everything in Mom's world is very black and white. She has always challenged us to be the best we can be, has held us all to a higher standard... but has loved us all unconditionally. Mom also always likes to get together with her "family". It has always been one of my favorite times... although as we become more scattered and spread out...I find it a little sad that we aren't all together more often.






Jamie is very much like Mom. The difference with Jamie is that as my sister, she has also been my ally and my partner in crime at times. She is good to a flaw. She is kind, she is tender and she is sweet. I always tell people that out of the 4 J's... Jamie is the Sweet One. We (lovingly) call her Mother Theresa... because she wants to take care of everyone, and she doesn't like conflict or disagreements.









So today... we got together to honor Mom and Jamie. We met for an early dinner at the Outback... and then went to Mom and Dad's for dessert and a few games. It was a lot of fun! I hope that my kids learn to appreciate these times with our family. I honestly cannot believe where the time has gone. It seems like we blink - and the years just go speeding by!! I pray that I can learn to slow down enough to enjoy the NOW with my family... and the time that we have... not always looking to "what is coming up"!







By the way... some of these photos were taken by the kids. We have some little photographers in our future!!






HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM AND JAMIE!!!!!

5 comments:

Angel said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :0) Angel

Angie said...

I haven't seen your mom in years! I'm not sure I would've recognized her on the street! Maybe it's the hair, but I don't think you and Jamie look to much alike. Love the pics! Angie

Jodi said...

Looks like you all had a great time even though I wasn't able to make it up :0(. I hate that I didn't make it in because of the weather. I am hoping to try again in a couple of weekends and maybe this time Chad and the boys can come with me....
Love and miss you all-
jo

Dena said...

Really - who doesn't love a birthday!

Jenn said...

I check your blog every day, hoping to see that they are doing the DNA or that you got the news that you are about to go get your girl! You are getting so close! I will be praying for you guys and that your next update will be really good news!