Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cumberland Falls


Where, oh where have the Hanks Gang been????



If you've been wondering where in the world we've been ... we have had a little MODEM trouble. We went to Cumberland Falls on June 26th... it was BEAUTIFUL! The day was absolutley perfect. The weather was wonderful... the kids were great... I couldn't have asked for anything more. Apparently back here at home... there was a thunderstorm to rival all storms. When we pulled in there were trash cans everywhere, some had rolled through our garden... which isn't even close to the place the trash cans go... and demolished a large portion of the garden. UGH. We also lost some of our really large trees in the woods. They crashed down on our fence, which cost us an entire Saturday cutting off and repairing. UGH AGAIN. I didn't even realize for two days that we had lost yet ANOTHER modem... this would be modem number 16. So... much like the plumber that never fixes his own sink, we still have not replaced the modem and I have been trying to blog at the office, while answering the phones, trying to hire new employees and keep all four kids from staging a takeover and taking hostages. As you can see... that plan hasn't worked out too well. So here I am "back-blogging". Please bear with me as I play catch-up.





So... as I mentioned... on June 26th... we set out for Cumberland Falls. We are so blessed here in the state of Kentucky! We have some of the most beautiful State Parks... some beautiful lakes, rivers, trails, rock formations, caves... and while Tim and I have been to many of these State Parks... the kids have not. So I was pretty excited about our trip.





We met up with Mamoo, Papoo, Briana and Tabitha and had a nice picnic once we arrived. (Notice that Ali and I were smart enough to find a table in the SHADE...)





The kids loved the picnic area... and I think for a while they thought that this was all we came to "see". They hiked up the trails, climbed on several rocks, blew bubbles, danced and sang... I really think if we had packed up and left at any point they would have been completely happy.





Once we got done with our picnic, we loaded up and went over to the falls area. The kids were amazed at the falls. They also wanted to get out and "touch" it. Thank goodness for the barriers...





Once we were done looking at the falls we went back over to the river side and let the kids wade in the water. (Please note: I never saw the sign that said NO WADING until after we were leaving.)







It's funny... Tim told me to take towels. I kept telling him... we can't get into the water... no one will get wet... they have barriers!!









Well... leave it to McCaleb. We were wading in the water... and suddenly I hear, "Uh oh!" SPLASH!!! Right on his face. He hit a slimey spot and wiped out. Bless his heart. Despite the 2 hour drive home... when we arrived in Georgetown to meet Tim for dinner, he was still soaking wet and COLD. Lucky for him... I had some clothes in the back of the car that were Brayden's... so we borrowed a few things from the bag and dressed him in a very ecclectic outfit. He might have been mismatched... but he was warm.





All in all... it was a wonderful day! Not even the storm that happened here could dampen our spirits. The kids are ready to go back...I think we might try to go again in the fall when the leaves change. That's one of the many blessings of Kentucky... it changes with the seasons.






6 comments:

Kim said...

Jay and I need to do a better job of getting out to the state parks - we've only been to a couple of them.

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!!

Krystal said...

It's about time you posted! Hee hee. It looks like the kids had a lot of fun - great pics :)

Thanks for the clothes. Brayden nearly passed out when you found that the precious gift of not one, but TWO set of Thomas pjs. He was so excited!

Karen D. said...

Yea! I am glad to see that you are back and are alive and well!

I love seeing pics of your family! KY looks beautiful too!

Take Care!
Love,
Karen and Abbie

Sara said...

Glad you are back and nice to see pics of your excursion. I love state parks!

Ruth said...

Great pics Jennifer...When you go to the falls in the fall, I hope you let me know...you passed my street to get there....I would love to meet you there. We have been soooo busy this summer I have not blogged in forever. Take care.
Love Ruth

Angie said...

I was waiting and waiting for a new post! Glad to hear all is well. Your trip looked wonderful. I can't remember the last time I went there. The pictures are great. hope to see you guys again soon!