Saturday, April 14, 2007

The MIRACLE of "Paying It Forward"








Last week - we received some new pictures of Sara. She looks so happy! We wanted to go visit her over Spring Break - so that we could meet her and begin to build a relationship with her. I think it will be very scary (especially at 7) to just hop on a plane with people she doesn't know, and travel 3,000 miles away... and begin a new life. Sadly, it just didn't work out for us right now. We are hoping for summer... but there are so many things that we have to take into consideration - it may be that I have to take a trip alone to Guatemala.

I wanted to share with you a little how God has been working in our lives recently. I am always amazed when I realize how He takes care of us... and how His hands are in every aspect of our lives.

Back in February, we began this journey with a Pampered Chef Fund Raising Event. This entire journey to Sara has been such a leap of faith, because we don't have the money necessary to do this... and when we began this process, we still had no idea how we were going to be able to afford it. I cannot tell you how exciting the Fund Raiser was. We raised about $2,100 towards Sara's adoption expenses...what a blessing! We were feeling a little more confident, and not so stressed. However, our second payment was due at the end of March... and we were still short of money. I was beginning to stress out...and with as much pressure as Tim already has on him with a business to run and employees to care for... I began to try and "figure it out" on my own. We had received several gifts from people at church, and from friends that had also adopted... people have been so supportive and so very generous. Yet, I decided I had to act. So, I put in a call to Mr. Tucker at State Farm to see how much money I could get out of our Life Insurance. Then, I tried to see how much money we had in all the kids' savings accounts... you know, basically scrambling around any way I could to scrounge up the cash. The very day that I called Mr. Tucker's office and spoke to Katie about our Life Insurance... when I got home that afternoon, there was a letter in our mailbox from some very dear friends we met through the adoption process. Inside there was a check for the EXACT AMOUNT of money that we needed to make our next payment (which needed to be put in that mail the very next day). I was overwhelmed... and left totally speechless. We have been humbled and honored with each gift that we had been given thus far. There have been financial gifts of support - and there have been gifts of love and prayers. For all of these blessings we have been so thankful. However, just knowing the timing... and the desperation that I had been feeling...I called Krystal to tell her thank you... and to share with her our gratitude and how overwhelmed we were by their gift--- and the timing of it. She shared with me that a family had done the same thing for them when they went through the adoption process... and she and Michael had decided that when they were able... they wanted to "pay it forward" to another family. So they waitied... and when they read about Sara... they knew what they wanted to do - and who they wanted to help. More than just their gift... I am stunned by God's hand in timing it all so perfectly, once again reminding me that He is in control. We find our faith bolstered... we find new strength and resolve. By the same token, we have been inspired by the generosity of so many people... and we feel it is now OUR responsibility to "pay it forward" ourselves once we are able... and make a difference for another family in this incredible journey called adoption.

God continues to meet our needs and reaffirm our decision in SO MANY WAYS. We are thankful and honored that so many people have blessed us with their love and support.

Tim and I continue to talk about what more we can do to answer the need of so many children out there that need forever families. There has to be a way that we can help... that we can be useful... that we can do what God has called all of us to do, which is to care for the orphans. The need is enormous, and our burden is great. We are still seeking God's will for our lives in that area. We know there is more... we just don't have a clear understanding yet, as to what He is asking us to do. In the meantime, we are getting ready for a seven year old girl that has been on our hearts for almost a year now. We are praying for her each day, that God is preparing her heart for our family... and praying also for her birth mother for the difficult decision she made - out of love, concern and complete unselfishness.

To all those that have joined us, either financially or in love and prayer - THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts. Your generosity has touched and humbled us so much. Please know that we will do our best to honor those gifts and prayers... and that we believe it is our responsibility to "pay that forward" in any way we can.

God Bless You ALL.

1 comment:

Corey said...

Dear Hanks Gang
You do not know me, I have a son from Guatemala and in the process of adoting my daughter... I would like to send you a gift as well.. DO you have a paypal account set up? Please email me cgaynes@gmail.com