Thursday, September 04, 2008

HOME

Home: [hohm] - noun, 1. the place in which one's domestic affections are centered. 2. any place of residence or refuge.




I remember clearly the day I saw Sara's photo for the first time. Much like my experience the first time I saw Ali's photo... for days I could not get her face out of my mind. My every thought was consumed with helping find this child a "home" and bringing this child "home". Home... as I knew it from my childhood was a wonderful, warm and safe place. My childhood, while maybe not perfect... was absolutely wonderful. In my mind... every child deserves to have a "home".

It wasn't right away that I knew that our "home" was the home that God had in mind for Sara. We had only been home for a month or two with McCaleb. However, once it was clear to us we set out on a mission to bring Sara HOME.




Over 18 months later... on April 4th, 2008... we arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio and began to drive Sara HOME. It was late... so very late... but Sara was WIDE AWAKE. (It could have been the terrible thunder and lightning storm that we were driving in... I was wide awake, too!)

What a difference 5 months makes! In 5 months time, Sara has grown THREE INCHES TALLER, she has grown one entire shoe size, her weight is about 5 lbs heavier... but you can't tell... her height seems to have thinned out her waist... and don't even get me started on her cute figure! (UGH) As I mentioned before, she can read, write, add, subtract... she is learning to tell time, and I honestly have to keep slowing her down... she wants to try and do it ALL NOW!

She can drive the tractor, ride a horse, ride her bike a little (gravel drives are not the best way to learn...), use the computer very well, answer the phone, work the remote control on the TV (bah ha ha ha) and she loves to bowl. She makes her own bed (very well) , puts all her own clothes away, fixes her own hair most days... and helps the smaller kids with theirs, helps with chores around the house, is always willing to help with work in the yard... but her favorite thing to do is draw. Give her a pencil and some paper and she's all set!

She has embraced her siblings - and albeit a few small bumps along the way, they all get along very well.

Announcement - Front

I finally got her announcements finished and mailed out. If you didn't get one... I am terribly sorry. It seemed much more difficult to get Sara's done. It doesn't really make sense... I thought I had LESS time when McCaleb came home - but I made and mailed his out much sooner. Here is a copy for those that didn't get one in the mail. They turned out very cute - and she was tickled to death with them!


I often wonder what life used to be like... you know... when I actually had time for myself. It seems like such a long time ago. ;)



It's been 5 months since Sara walked into our home... and although she was firmly planted in our hearts many months before that, our home will never be the same. For those of you that helped us pray her home... we want to say Thank You again... she is truly a very special little girl.

"You never know what events are going to transpire to get you home."
- Og Mandino


PS... September 4th, 1998 I married my very best friend.
Happy 10 Year Anniversary, Tim! It's been the most incredible and amazing journey... I can't wait to see what the future holds. God has truly blessed me with your love, your kindness and your patience.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Your family is so incredibly beautiful. I love the announcements!! (and Happy Anniversary)

Karen D. said...

Wow!!! God truly is amazing- as is your family! It doesn't seem all that long ago that you were helping me deal with the two horrible days that Abbie was grieving. We have now been home for 13 months!

I am so thankful that I got to meet you in "real life" in GC!!

Love,
Karen and Abbie Faith

Angie said...

Sara is such a beautiful girl! Your entire family is beautiful!