Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Battle JUST GOT BIGGER


Today, Wednesday October the 3rd...The Guatemalan Congress passed the Ortega Law.

Birth mothers currently have the right to relinquish their child for adoption, to know who will care for the child during the process, and to know that the child is going to America. This law takes those rights away. Also, unless an amendment is passed, this law says that our adoption is now null and void. This law also says that the home in which Sara is currently receiving EXCELLENT care will no longer receive any funding from adoptions. It is currently 100% funded by adoption fees. The law provides no place for her or the thousands of children in this situation to go. The implementation date has not been set, but it could be as soon as 30 days. There is still hope for the amendment to allow our adoption to be processed under the law in which it was initiated, but this is a huge knock against us and other in-process families. We will not stop fighting for Sara, but the battle just got bigger. Please pray for the children of Guatemala.

(Thank you Krystal for allowing me to steal your words... when, for once, I find myself at a loss of words.) Fore more information: http://www.adaguatemala.org/English/news/
Or see the post below...and join us in this fight!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

We are praying!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

Jen,
My heart has been so heavy all day. I just can't get my mind off all the kids and families waiting. I am praying!!!

jajbs said...

I "stole" Krystal's words, also! She put it perfectly. I am praying for all of us and also those children that don't have families yet to love them. God has moved mountains in the past and I believe he can do it again!


Amanda