Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sweet Success!




























































































Ali has been trying to tie her own shoes for a very long time...maybe since she was about 3. But she would get so upset when her fingers wouldn't work, or she would get so confused. Tim would try to help her, I would try to help her... but it just wasn't working out. Then, it dawns on me... I am teaching her left-handed. Tim is teaching her right-handed. Tim is the better teacher... but he just isn't with the kids as much as I am during the day, so apparently I have been "undoing" all the work that he and Ali have been "doing". It was a big AHA moment for me... and I decided to just use Tim's words and try to talk her through it. (It's really hard to not want to help...) We have been trying that for a couple of days this week. But she was still getting frustrated and would give up and ask me to tie her shoes for her. Which I would do - and tell her it was OK - that I bet I couldn't tie when I was 5 years old. (She also keeps asking for Velcro, which if you know me... you know I really don't care for Velcro shoes...but I won't give in, because I knew she could do this.)

Well, if there is ONE good thing about Carpal Tunnel (and I truly can't imagine that there is...) it's that your fingers just don't work most of the time - but especially first thing in the morning. (Again, I'm not sure this is technically what I would call a good thing - but it came in handy today.) Since I only slept 2 hours on Sunday night and then 2 hours on Wednesday night from the pain... and they can't give me my injection until Monday... I am really uncomfortable right now. So, Ali was clunking around the house in her untied shoes this morning... quite possibly making a statement about the fact that hers were still not tied...again, my fingers were not working. However, it could be that thing cool kids do where they don't want their shoes tied, so they just clunk around. Either way...the clunking had to stop. I told Ali to sit down and try to tie her shoes... that I knew she could do it. Then I went into the kitchen to watch from a distance. When I saw that she was really going to get it - I got the camera and began snapping pictures. She was so proud!!!! I knew she could get it... and I bet if I hadn't been helping all along, we might have seen success earlier in the year. Oh, well. At least I know now... so when it's Rachel's turn, I'll just let Ali teach her.

As for Rachel and McCaleb, they got bored with all the trying pretty fast... and sat down to read magazines. McCaleb loves the National Geographic that Grandpa Larry sends! (Yes, he does read them upside-down quite often...) As for Rachel, she prefers her Daddy's Plane and Pilot. When Tim can't find his magazines, he has to check Rachel's toy basket. That's usually where they end up. (However, if her driving skills don't improve, I'm pretty sure we will never let her fly...)

Good job Ali for all your hard work and perseverance! We are so proud!!!!

2 comments:

Jana said...

What an accomplishment for a five-year-old. Great job, Ali!

love you -- jana

Krystal said...

Way to go, Ali!!!